Saturday, July 11, 2020

Daily Devotion: A Biblical View of Peace


Bible Reading: Philippians 4

Key Verse: Verse 7- “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Key Words: And the peace of God

I read the following and thought you should as well.

Philippians 4:7, “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

According to our text we are unable to get peace; peace must get us. The word peace means to be whole, complete, to be as one.

Certainly we understand that we can’t make ourselves whole, or complete. That comes through God’s grace as we accept Him as our personal Savior.

We live in a world crying for peace. People buy, cheat, lie and steal to have peace; but what we must understand is that peace doesn’t come through natural possessions, but through Jesus Christ.

Several years ago, a young man who I had not seen for a while came by my office. As he entered, he said, “Well, how do you like the new me?” He had changed the way he walked, the clothes were a different style than he had worn before, his hair combed differently, it was even a different color! I was thinking to myself, “Why did he do this?” But he answered my question before I could ask it aloud. “I’m looking for peace,” he said. “I thought if I changed from the old me that I didn’t like, that I could get it.” Then he sadly confessed, “But I was wrong.”

Unfortunately, many are just like this young man attempting to be whole, complete as one without going to the “Giver” of peace, Jesus.

The Chinese have a proverb that goes like this: “If there is righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in the character. If there is beauty in the character, there will be harmony in the home. If there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation. If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world.”

When Jesus was born, He brought peace: “Peace on earth, good will toward men.” We will only have peace as we turn to Jesus as Savior, Supplier, and Sustainer.


What to do:
✞ When you finally submit to the reality that life isn’t about you, but about Jesus, you’ll find peace

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email