Sunday, July 19, 2020

Daily Devotion: A Biblical View of Faith


Bible Reading: Hebrews 11:1-10

Key Verse: Verse 1 – “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Key Words: Now faith

True faith is obeying God in spite of my feelings, in spite of my circumstances, or in spite of the apparent consequences. All of the men and women in Hebrews, chapter 11, God’s “Hall of Faith” chapter, had to deal with feelings and emotions. Did you ever walk through a sea? That could produce some pretty strong feelings – or how about fighting a proven army – or how about standing up to a powerful ungodly leader? While these people could not have predicted the consequences of such events, they trusted God in spite of their feelings, circumstances, and apparent consequences...now that’s faith.

The object of faith is God. Everybody has faith in something – a job, money, friends, a political party. The difference between the believer and the unbeliever is not that one has faith and one doesn’t. The difference is that the believer has faith in God. It is the object of our faith that makes the believer’s faith real and powerful.

How does one have faith? Three ways:
  1. Through God’s Word, Romans 10:17. My faith will never be developed until I live by God’s Word.
  2. My relationship. I must walk with God. This is a daily relationship with God, when I seek to please Him with my words and actions (II Corinthians 5:7).
  3. Doing the will of God. As I do the will of God for my life, my faith will grow. Oftentimes people say, “But I don’t know what the will of God is.” Then do that which you know is His will: witness to others, pray, read the Word of God, be faithful to the house of God, tithe, be honest, etc. You want to have faith? Do the will of God and your faith will grow (Galatians 3:11).
These three things are necessary to live for God by faith. My prayer is that we would all now go out and be doers of the Word, not hearers only.


What to do:
✞ Make sure the object of your faith is God and then move forward.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email