Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Daily Devotion: The When of Zeal and Fire

Bible Reading: Philippians 2:14-24

Key Verse: Verse 19 – “But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state."

Key Words: when I know your state

The real key to our text verse is the word state—when I know your state. The word means your fire; your zeal. Paul wanted to know if the church of Philippi was still on fire for God.

It was knowing that the church was still on fire for God that brought comfort. I’m reminded of what John said, “Come with me, and see my zeal for the Lord” (II Kings 10:11b).

When he was pastor for the Methodist church in Scarborough, William Sangster had an eccentric member who tried to be a zealous Christian. Unfortunately, the man was mentally deficient and usually did the wrong thing. While working as a barber, the man lathered up a customer for a shave, came at him with the poised razor, and asked, “Are you prepared to meet your God?” The frightened man fled with the lather on his face.

Halford Lucock says, “I was impressed several years ago when I read that Eugene Ormandy dislocated a shoulder while directing the Philadelphia Orchestra. I do not know what they were playing, but he was giving all of himself to it! And I have asked myself sadly, 'Did I ever dislocate anything, even a necktie?'”


What to do:
✞ Ask yourself---If people are watching me, will they see any zeal for the Lord?

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email