Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Daily Devotion: When I Vow

Bible Reading: Ecclesiastes 5:1-7

Key Verse: Verse 4 – "When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed."

Key Words: When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it

The word defer means to delay or hesitate. I marvel at vows made to God which are deferred such as one’s wedding vows, one’s vow when they dedicate their child to God, or when they dedicate themselves to God.

There is the expectation from God that we keep our vows, and do so in a timely manner.

While a member of Congress, Abraham Lincoln was once criticized by a friend for his seeming rudeness in declining to test the rare wines provided by their host. The friend said to him: “There is certainly no danger of a man of your years and habits becoming addicted to the use of wine.” “I mean no disrespect, John,” answered Lincoln, “but I promised my precious mother only a few days before she died that I would never use anything intoxicating as a beverage, and I consider that promise as binding today as it was the day I gave it.” “But,” the friend continued, “there is a great difference between a child surrounded by a rough class of drinkers and a man in a home of refinement.” “A promise is a promise forever,” answered Lincoln, “and when made to a mother, it is doubly binding.” If it’s doubly binding to mom, then it must be truly binding to God.


What to do:
✞ Verse 4, Pay that which thou hast vowed.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email