Monday, November 13, 2017

Daily Devotion: The When of Sight

Bible Reading: I Samuel 17

Key Verse: Verse 24 – “And all the men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him, and were sore afraid."

Key Words: And all the men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him

Physical sight is a great thing in most cases, but there are times it becomes a detriment spiritually. So it was when the men of Israel saw the giant Goliath.

They looked at him and said, “He is too big to fight.” But young David said, “Not so. He is too big to miss.” The men of Israel were looking through the eyes of men while David was looking through the eyes of God. One was walking by sight, the other by faith.

Years ago, a couple of my friends and myself were riding our bikes when we saw a family moving into their new house. Curious, we rode our bikes a little closer just so we could see if they had anyone our age to hang out with. We finally got too close, and their big ol’ Doberman came flying out of the house; and we decided it was time for us to leave. That dog was barking and snapping at us as we pedaled toward “my” house, which was the closest place for safety. We finally had to put our feet up on the handle bars and began coasting into the front yard. My dad, praise the Lord, was sitting on the front porch, and saw what was happening. He stood up as we coasted in and when the dog saw him, he stopped his pursuit and slowly walked back home. We were victorious over our enemy, not because of us, but because of my dad. Spiritually, we are victorious as well, not because of our own doing, but because of our heavenly Father who is always present watching over us. So I can live my life, not by physical sight, but by spiritual, and know that He will never leave me nor forsake me—no matter how big the enemy may be.


What to do:

✞ The foe may be big to us, but he’s mighty small to God. So we don’t have to be afraid.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email