Sunday, August 13, 2017

Daily Devotion: The Why of Disquietment

Bible Reading: Psalm 42

Key Verse: Verse 11 – “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."

Key Words: why are thou disquieted within me?



The word disquieted means not quiet. Notice it is his soul that is not quiet, or in much turbulence, or roaring of trouble.

The psalmist, whoever it is, has a soul that is in much turbulence…not at peace…troubled. It could be David as he is pursued by Saul or maybe Hezekiah as he faces the army of the Assyrians. Whoever the psalmist may be, they give us the answer for a turbulent soul which is to hope in God. Praise God, get your focus onto God, not your troubles.

Whenever I interview a prospective staff person, I will ask three unusual questions.

First, what is the last book you read, not including the Bible. (What they read, they become.)

Second, where do you want to be in five years? (Do they plan ahead?)

Third, I take them to my office window and ask them what they see. Some say trees, plants, birds, etc. The answer I am looking for is, “I see God’s creation.” (What is their focus?)

Hope looks beyond the turbulent things of life and sees God at work, understanding that God doesn’t do things to us, but for us!!

So let me ask you, Right now, what do you see? What is your focus?


What to do:
✞ He who focuses on God, will overcome all his troubles.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email