Thursday, August 31, 2017

Daily Devotion: Why Are You Saying That?

Bible Reading: I Corinthians 10:23-33

Key Verse: Verse 30 - “For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?"

Key Words: why am I evil spoken of

Needless to say, the church of Corinth and Paul had some major disagreements. As a result of those disagreements, some were speaking evil of him.

One area was in eating meat offered to idols (verse 27). Some found it offensive to eat the meat offered to idols. Paul said, “If you go to a feast and they offer this meat, eat it!” For this reason, some spoke evil of Paul.

Have you ever had someone speak evil of you because they don’t agree with you? Two rules here: first, if they are right, change; if they are wrong, don’t worry about it.

Tony Evans writes:
When my kids were little, I took them to the Ft. Worth Stock Show. This is a place where once a year various livestock are put on display. Now, I’m no Farmer Brown, but looking at the animals was fun for the kids, so I took them.

But, it smells out there. It stinks really bad. There are all these animals and they could only be kept so clean. It wasn’t long after we got there that I was ready to go. My kids begged me to stay a little bit longer, but after awhile, I couldn’t take the smell anymore. I had to get out of there!

I gathered everyone up and we made our way to the car. It was still stinky. We got in the car and made sure the windows were all up so we could escape the smell. It was still stinky! We got halfway home. It was still stinky. Finally, we pulled up at our house. The stink that was at the Ft. Worth Stock Show was in the house. How could it be stinking in Dallas when the problem was in Ft. Worth? Well, I had somehow gotten the problem on my shoes. It’s easy to analyze everybody else, but you may actually be smelling yourself.


What to do:
✞ If you are wrong, change. If you are right, keep going.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email