Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Daily Devotion: Why Are You Sad?

Bible Reading: Nehemiah 2:1-8

Key Verse: Verse 2 – “Wherefore the king said unto me, Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou art not sick? this is nothing else but sorrow of heart. Then I was very sore afraid,"

Key Words: Why is thy countenance sad


The word countenance is defined as one’s facial expression. I have always defined it as “our face revealing what our heart is feeling.”

Israel is now under the rule of Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonians. Nehemiah has just learned of their condition, thus his countenance was sad.

Your countenance is one of the ways that we express what we are feeling.

Whenever I go to the doctor, the nurse will inevitably ask me if I’m in any pain; and if so, from one to ten, with one being the least and ten being the most, what level of pain I am in. The chart they have on the wall numbered from one to ten has drawings of facial expressions for each number so you know your pain level by the facial expression at which you are looking.

Sometime back one of my daughters came by to see her mother and me. When she arrived, I looked at her and said, “What are you upset about?” She immediately responded, “What makes you think I’m upset?” My answer: “It’s written all over your face.”

Our facial expressions say a lot about us. So today, I encourage you to be happy in the Lord and let others know it by the expression on your face.


What to do:
✞ The glow of the face reveals the glory of the heart so live a glowing life and glorify God.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email