Monday, August 21, 2017

Daily Devotion: Why Call Jesus Good?

Bible Reading: Matthew 19:13-22

Key Verse: Verse 17 – "And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."

Key Words: Why callest thou me good?


The young man had come to Jesus on the grounds of salvation coming through keeping the commandments. So Jesus answered him on the same grounds. The Lord said in effect, “If you want to earn eternal life, live a perfect life.” To keep the commandments of God perfectly is an impossible task for sinful man. The question is, did he really believe Jesus alone could save?

I am afraid he is like the man that slid over the side of a cliff and was able to grab a branch at the last second. He hung dangling over the precipice, hundreds of feet from the ground below. He screamed out with a loud voice, “Help me! Somebody help me!”

A voice came out of the sky, “Do you believe that I can help you?”

The man responded, “Yes, I believe. Please help me!”

The voice came out of the sky again, “Do you believe that I have the power to help you?”

“Yes, I believe! I believe! Please help me!”

“Do you believe I love you enough to help you?”

“Yes, I know you love me. Please, oh please, HELP ME!”

“Because you believe, I will help you. Now let go.”

After a brief silence, the man said, “Is there anybody else up there?”

And that’s the way some are today. God is good until we are dangling over the edge with our problem.


What to do:
✞ Let go and let God help you.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email