Sunday, March 26, 2023

Daily Devotion: Surely Goodness and “Marcy”

Bible Reading: Psalm 23

Key Verse: Verse 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Key Words: Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life


The 23rd Psalm is often read at funerals, but there is no greater promise for the living than that which one finds in the 23rd Psalm.

  • In verse 1, there is the promise of provision.
  • In verses 2-4 you find the promise of peace.
  • In verse 5 you find His protection.
  • In verse 6, we see the presence of God.

The promise never to leave us or forsake us should be a constant encouragement for us all (Hebrews 13:5).


A mom was concerned about her kindergarten son walking to school. He did not want her to walk with him, and she wanted to give him a feeling of independence. But she also wanted to know that he was safe. When she expressed her concern to her neighbor, Shirley offered to follow him to school every morning for a while, staying at a distance so he wouldn’t notice. Shirley said that since she was up early with her toddler anyway, it would be a good way for them to get some exercise.


All week long, Shirley and her daughter followed Timmy as he walked to school with another neighborhood girl. As the two children walked and chatted, kicking stones and twigs, Timmy’s friend said, “Have you noticed that lady following us to school all week? Do you know her?”


Timmy replied, “Yes, I know who she is. That’s my mom’s friend Shirley Goodnest and her little girl Marcy.”


“Shirley Goodnest. Why is she following us?”


“Well,” Timmy explained, “every night my mom makes me say the 23rd Psalm. It says Shirley Goodnest and Marcy shall follow me all the days of my life. I guess I’ll just have to get used to it.”

We might as well get used to it. God is not going to break His promises!


What to do:
✞ Be still and know that God is near.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email