Saturday, March 7, 2020

Daily Devotion: Paid In Full


Bible Reading: Romans 4:1-7

Key Verse: Verse 4 – "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

Key Words: But of debt

If you have to pay for it, then it’s not grace; it’s a debt.

Several years ago my family and I were enjoying an evening at a restaurant. We looked over in the corner and saw a couple from our church. We waved at them and they winked back in our direction. And just before they left they came by our table, shook hands and said "Hi." When our meal was over, I got up and walked to the cash register and said, "I didn't get a check for our meal." They said, "Oh, well, you don't have to worry about it because someone else paid for it." I asked, "Who paid for it?" They said, "Well, we don't know who they are, but they were the couple that walked over and said 'Hello' to you." I was astonished, but said, "Well, why don't I take care of the tip?"

"No, that was all taken care of too." It was paid in full. I had the hardest time accepting that. I wanted to go home and call them up and say, "Hey, why don't I split it halfway with you?"

There was another fellow who that year wanted to give us a present of washing all the windows in the house - inside and out. I had the hardest time saying, "Fine, do it all." I was pacing up and down, wondering what I could do to pay him back. It's difficult to accept something absolutely free. We think there's a gimmick or we think there's something we must do to pay our way.

God's grace says, "I've picked up the tab. I'll take care of everything inside and out. Accept it. Believe it. It's a declared fact."


What to do:
✞ God’s grace: believe it! It is a declared fact.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email