Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Daily Devotion: Who Am I?

Bible Reading: I Samuel 18:17-26

Key Verse: Verse 18 –“And David said unto Saul, Who am I? and what is my life, or my father's family in Israel, that I should be son in law to the king?"

Key Words: Who am I

The question David asked King Saul was one of genuine humility. While others saw in David a warrior, a leader, a future king, David could see none of it. “Who am I,” he asked.

For most men, getting behind the wheel in the car with their wife as the passenger can be a lesson in humility.

You are driving down the highway.

Your wife says, “Honey, do you know where you are going?”

“Yeah, I know exactly where we are.” Sweat is popping up on your forehead, because you don’t want to admit that you are lost.

“Well, honey, why don’t you pull over, and ask somebody?”

You don’t understand, ladies. To ask us to pull over and ask somebody is an attack on our manhood. What you are telling us in a nice way is, you don’t know what you are doing.

The farther you drive, the harder it is to admit that you’re lost. So now you have to compensate for your losses. “We are almost there. Just two more lights and we should be there.” All the while you are hoping, sweating, and praying that you luck your way onto the right road. Prayer meetings are going on in the car now as you silently think, “Father, show me which way to go.”

All of this energy is expended to avoid having to ask for help. A lack of humility can really get in the way of reaching one’s destination.

David was a great warrior, he was a great leader, and he was a great king because he had a great humility.


What to do:
✞ Memorize Matthew 23:11

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email