Saturday, September 10, 2022

Daily Devotion: Watch Your Language

Bible Reading: Philippians 2:1-10

Key Verse: Verse 10 - “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;”

Key Words: Jesus

A pastor I know tells the following story.

One morning years ago, I took a walking tour of Albany, New York. I stopped for lunch at a park. As I ate my sandwich, I felt someone staring at me. Turning around, I saw a little fellow watching me with intense interest. He appeared to be at most around twelve or so. He crinkled with curiosity.

“‘What’s your name?’, he finally asked. Then he asked, ‘What are you eatin’? Where are you from?’

“‘Tennessee,’ I said.

“‘What are you doin’ here?’

I told him I was preaching at a church in his city.

“‘What does it mean to preach?’ he asked.

With a smile I told him that it meant to tell others about Jesus.

When I said the name Jesus, his eyes widened, and he cupped his hands over his mouth. ‘Jesus,’ he whispered. ‘Mister, don’t you know?’

“‘Know what?’ I asked.

“‘That’s a cuss word.’

It dawned on me that the only time this little fellow had ever heard the name of Jesus was in slang and profanity. What a shame!”

I am convinced that children in many homes never hear a devotion from God’s Word, and they never hear a parent pray.

Why, if the truth were known, some of your children seldom see you open your Bible, and many of your children have never heard daddy pray. I trust this is not true in your case; but if so, why not change that beginning today?



What to do:

Everyday have each family member tell one thing that Jesus has done for him or her.

Let your children hear you pray for them, your pastor, the church staff, etc.

Have daily devotions together as a family.


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email