Monday, September 19, 2022

Daily Devotion: Little Humans

Bible Reading:  Psalm 51 

Key Verse: Verse 5 – “Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.”

Key Words: in sin did my mother conceive me

Children, like all of us, come into the world with a sin nature.  The Psalmist David said, “In sin did my mother conceive me.”  In Scripture we do not find a contrast between “innocent children” and “sinful adults.” Proverbs 22:15 says, “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.”  Children are sinners as well as adults.

I have never seen a child who needed instruction on how to sin; it comes quite naturally.  I doubt that any of you sat your child down and taught him how to lie.  It just comes naturally.

In his book, Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, Douglas Wilson writes, “I had to confront my five year-old daughter because of bitterness toward her brother.  It seems he had clobbered her earlier in the day; although he was disciplined for his action, she was unwilling to forgive.  So I quoted Matthew 6:14-15, ‘For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly father will also forgive you; but if you forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your father forgive your trespasses.’

 “Looking at me she said, ‘Who is this Matthew guy, anyway?’ 

“Now her questioning of the scripture was not due to liberal theology, but it was a result of her unforgiving spirit and her sin nature.”

Our children are sinners and education alone is not the answer. All you get when you educate a sinner is a “clever sinner.”   Knowledge by itself does not make people better, but rather makes them worse.  Education is not the answer to our problem; Jesus is!  (Romans 3:20, 5:20)

I think all of you would agree with me that we here at the school want your children to receive a Godly education;  but  if  all we  do  is educate the mind and never attempt to regenerate the heart, we all have failed, both as staff and parents.


What to do:
     Make sure your children know God’s plan of salvation.
     Make sure they understand that Jesus is the key to life.
     Understand that we all have a sin nature that must be dealt with daily; thus it is imperative that we keep our relationship with God right.


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email