Sunday, September 4, 2022

Daily Devotion: Discipline in Love

Bible Reading: Hebrews 12:6-11

Key Verse: Verse 10 – “For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our  profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.”

Key Words: that we might be partakers of his holiness

The Word of God presents considerable truth about discipline. Proverbs 13:24 says, “He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.” Proverbs 22:15 says, “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.” Proverbs 23:13-14 says, “Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.”

Now, you may be thinking, “Good grief, Pastor, are you advocating child abuse?” No, that is not what the Word of God teaches; but it does emphasize that you must discipline in love.

Are you aware that children literally cry out for discipline? Kids often push down shelves, kick our cars, and do other mischievous acts; and in doing so, they are saying, “Give me the discipline I need.” Of course, most children would not agree with this; but I believe it is exactly what they want; and the Bible says that it is exactly what they need.

I have heard parents boast that they would never discipline their children physically. My question is, why not? The reason most parents refuse to discipline is not because they love their child that much, but because they love themselves too much. What causes a parent to fail to discipline? It is the fear that the child will not love them; but in reality, just the opposite is true.

When parents discipline their children, they are saying, “I love you, and I want you to do right” (Hebrews 12:11). You are saying through discipline, “I care more about you than I care about myself. I am willing to have you criticize me, be mad at me, and even talk about me behind my back. I am willing to be unpopular with you and your friends for a while, that I might teach you to do right for a lifetime.”

Parents, children need two pats on the back: one high enough to encourage them when they do right, and one low enough to discourage them when they do wrong. Effective discipline requires knowing which end of the child to pat.


What to do:

Be consistent with both your discipline and your praise.

Never use your bare hand to discipline. Always use a switch or belt. The hand is for loving.

Always pray with your child before and after the discipline.

Never discipline out of frustration but out of love.

Discipline is tough love, but it is still love.


Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email