Saturday, May 23, 2020

Daily Devotion: A Complaining Heart


Bible Reading: Psalm 77:1-20

Key Verse: Verse 6 - “I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.

Key Words: I commune with mine own heart

Complaining can consume you if you’re not careful. All you see are the things you think are wrong; and seldom, if ever, do you see anything good.

In Psalm 77 the psalmist, because of the psalmist’s heart condition, lists for us all the things he saw as a “problem” and complained about them.
  1. God was a problem. I remembered God and was “troubled” (stirred up emotionally) Psalm 77:3a.
  2. Complaining consumed the psalmist so he couldn’t or wouldn’t sleep (verse 4).
  3. He complained because things weren’t like they used to be (verse 5).
  4. A complaining spirit can’t “find” the Lord (verse 2).
  5. A complaining spirit refuses to find good (verse 2).
Charles Spurgeon once said, in part: “A heavy wagon was being dragged along a country lane by a team of oxen. The axles groaned and creaked terribly, when the oxen turning around thus addressed the wheels, ‘Hey there, why do you make so much noise? We bear all the labor, and we – not you – ought to cry out!’ Those who complain first in our ministries are those who are determined to find fault. The gift of grumbling is largely dispensed among those who have no other talents.”

I have a saying that goes, “I can’t hear your complaints because I’ve never heard your praises.”

As always, thanks for reading and not complaining.


What to do:
✞ Remember, if one has never heard your praises, they will in all likelihood, never hear your complaints.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email