Sunday, May 26, 2019

Daily Devotion: Rizpah (A Picture of a Mother’s Love)


Bible Reading: II Samuel 21:8-14

Key Verse: Verse 8 – “But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite:

Key Words: But the king took the two sons of Rizpah

If there is a more touching story in the Old Testament of a mother’s love, I have yet to read it.

Herbert Lockyer in his book All the Kings and Queens of the Bible says of Rizpah.

“Without tent to screen her from the scorching sun all day and the saturating dew at night, and with only her black widow’s sackcloth to rest upon to keep her from the rocky ground, Rizpah watched her precious dead till the anger of Jehovah relented and the rain came. There she remained at her grim task scaring away the carrion from the naked corpses. How she must have fought against sleep during those anxious days and long, dreadful nights! The foul stench of the rotting bodies assailed her nostrils but love provided a perfume and also a determination to disturb approaching vultures. Those bodies were protected at great sacrifice without any thought of reward.”

I wash the dirt from little feet, and as I wash, I pray, “Lord, keep them ever pure and true to walk the narrow way.”

I wash the dirt from little hands, and earnestly I ask, “Lord, may they ever yielded be to do the humblest task.”

I wash the dirt from little knees, and pray, “Lord, may they be the place where victories are won and orders sought from Thee.”

I scrub the clothes that soil so soon and pray, “Lord, may her dress throughout eternal ages be Thy robe of righteousness.”

E’er many hours shall pass, I know I’ll wash these hands again, and there’ll be dirt upon her dress before the day shall end.

But as she journeys on through life and learns of pain and want, Lord keep her precious little heart cleansed from all sin and stain.

For soap and water cannot reach where Thou alone canst see. Her hands and feet, these I can wash....But Lord, I trust her heart to Thee!


What to do:
✞ Even though it’s not officially Mother’s Day, let Mom know you love her; and if Mom has gone on to glory, thank God for her life and the blessing she was to you.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email