Monday, April 30, 2018

Daily Devotion: The Sunshine Minister

Bible Reading: Psalm 28

Key Verse: Verse 7- "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him."

Key Words: The LORD is my strength

Al Smith records in his book, Treasury of Hymn Histories, the following story.

“Did you ever have the feeling of being abandoned? That you were all alone with your cares and problems?

“Rev. Frank Graeff went through such a deep and heartbreaking experience. He was to say later that his ‘whole attitude had become one of despair and defeat’ and that in turn produced a life which was anything but happy and victorious. He had lost sight of the One Who cares – the One Who knows about our heartaches and griefs – the One Who is the burden-bearer and has promised never to leave us in such times.

“Each day saw him slipping, as did Bunyon’s Pilgrim, deeper into the ‘slough of despair’ until one day when he felt he could stand it no longer and had come to the end of the road – in this extremity, he began to sing a song that had been born out of just such an experience that he was going through. It had been written by Joseph Scriven seventy-five years before.

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear.
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer –
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear ...

“Frank Graeff could go on no further. He dropped to his knees and began to pour out his heavy heart to the One Who cared. The peace he had forfeited came flooding through his soul and with it a ‘joy unspeakable and full of glory.’ ‘I know He cares! I know My Saviour cares!’ shouted the reclaimed preacher.

“Is it any wonder that shortly after this experience there flowed from his happy and revived heart the song ‘Does Jesus Care?’ that has blessed and encouraged so many thousands from the time it was written in 1900?”

Rev. Graeff went on to become one of the leading pastors in the Philadelphia area where he became known as “The Sunshine Minister.”


What to do:
✞ Read the following and know Jesus really cares.

Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth and song,
As the burdens press, and the cares distress, and the way grows weary and long?

Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into deep night shades,
Does He care enough to be near?

Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong,
When for my deep grief I find no relief,
Tho’ my tears flow all the night long?

Does Jesus care when I’ve said goodbye
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks –
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?

Chorus: Oh yes, He cares—
I know He cares!
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email