Friday, April 27, 2018

Daily Devotion: Precious Lord

Bible Reading: Psalm 4

Key Verse: Verse 1 - "Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer."

Key Words: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress

The backdrop of Psalm 4 is a familiar one. David’s son, Absalom, had rebelled against his father. But even in the midst of David’s heartache, David knew that God was with him. He always is.

“In 1932, my wife Nettie and I were living in Chicago,” said Thomas A. Dorsey, a black man and a well-known writer of Gospel songs. “We were expecting our first child. En route to St. Louis for a revival meeting, I discovered that I didn’t have my briefcase; and I returned home. Nettie was asleep, so I slipped the briefcase from under the bed and resumed my trip.

“Two nights later, I received a telegram from Chicago saying my wife had died in childbirth! Some friends drove me home and I learned that the baby boy had died also. We buried mother and son in the same casket. That was double trouble and I couldn’t take it. I said, ‘God, You aren’t worth a dime to me right now.’”

A few days later, however, the fog lifted from Dorsey’s sorrow-riven soul. As his fingers moved along the keyboard of his piano, the words of the hymn Precious Lord, Take My Hand came to him.

Born in the matrix of overwhelming sorrow, the hymn imparts its sorrow-assuaging message to millions of broken hearts.

Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, help me stand;
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Thru the storm, thru the night,
Lead me on to the light,’
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.

When my way grows drear,
Precious Lord, linger near;
When my life is almost gone,
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand lest I fall;
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.


What to do:
✞ Remember, God is with you through both the good times and the “bad.”

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email