Thursday, May 12, 2022

Daily Devotion: Challenge of Impulsive Decisions

Bible Reading: Genesis 25:19-34

Key Verse: Verse 33 – “And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.

Key Words:  and he sold his birthright unto Jacob

That impulsive decision by Esau would come back to haunt him.  Impulsive decisions are one of those self-induced challenges that I frequently caution others about.

Jonah made an impulsive decision and ended up in the belly of a whale. Jephthah made an impulsive decision that brought sorrow to himself and his daughter.

Some years ago, I went shopping with my dad to the hardware store.  During those days most everything you bought came from the hardware store.  I found a pair of handlebar grips with streamers for my “worn out bike.”  I impulsively wanted those handlebar grips but my dad refused.  I fussed and complained until my dad finally said, “Son, that’s it!! Not another word!!”  I went home and pouted.  It was only a couple weeks until Christmas but I could not get my mind off those handlebar grips.  I continued to beg mom and dad but to no avail.

Christmas morning I got up full of excitement, ran into the living room, and there sat a brand new bike with handlebar grips and streamers.  It was then that my dad said something I will never forget, “Son, you almost gave up a new bike for a 50-cent pair of handlebar grips.”  Yes, my impulsiveness almost came back to bite me…and it will you as well.

What to do:
✞ Remember, impulsive decisions can lead to some difficult challenges in our lives!!

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email