Saturday, December 15, 2018

Daily Devotion: Leadership and Decisions


Bible Reading: I Corinthians 6:1-12

Key Verse: Verse 12 – "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."

Key Words: I will not be brought under the power of any

As you read God’s Word, you find over and over again people making wrong decisions.
  • Adam and Eve made a wrong decision in eating the forbidden fruit.
  • Cain made a wrong decision in slaying his brother, Abel.
  • Abraham made a wrong decision when he went into Egypt. He made another wrong decision in having Sarah lie about who she was.
  • Lot made a wrong decision in going into Sodom and Gomorrah.
  • Joshua made a wrong decision in going to battle against Ai.
  • Achan made a wrong decision when he stole the silver, gold, and goodly Babylonish garment.
  • David made a wrong decision in not going to battle and committing adultery with Bathsheba.
  • Peter made a wrong decision out of pride, and said he would never deny the Lord; but he did!
The list could go on and on! The question is: How can I keep from making wrong decisions that adversely effect, not only me but others as well?

There are four Biblical questions that if we answer honestly, can keep us from making wrong decisions.

First of all, ask yourself: Will my decision lead me to spiritual freedom or slavery (I Corinthians 6:12)? If all those mentioned above would have simply asked this one question, and answered it honestly, they never would have made their wrong decisions.

Secondly, spiritually, will this cause others to stumble (I Corinthians 8:9)? After Peter had denied the Lord three times, he got five of his brethren and went fishing – not soul-winning. Peter’s decision caused others to stumble. Let me ask you, is it possible that by missing church you could cause others to stumble? Does your walk cause others to stumble? Ask yourself: Is it possible this decision will cause others to stumble?

Thirdly, ask yourself: By making this decision, will it build me up spiritually (I Corinthians 10:23)? Did Achan’s stealing, David’s adultery, and Abraham’s lying build them up spiritually in your eyes?

Fourthly, ask yourself: If I make this decision, will it bring glory to God (I Corinthians 10:31)? Can I honestly say that not tithing, or lying, or adultery, or stealing, or missing church brings glory to God?

So if you ever wonder about what course of action to take, if you ever wonder what the right thing to do is, ask yourself these four questions and answer them honestly, and you’ll know what to do.


What to do:
✞ Apply the above principles in making decisions.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email