Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Daily Devotion: Discretion

Bible Reading: Psalm 112

Key Verse: 5 – "A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion."

Key Words: he will guide his affairs with discretion

Discretion is being wise in how we handle situations. It’s not making public private matters.

There are certain things that should be handled in private. For example, if you know of people’s financial affairs, that’s private information. Keep it private. We have a Christian school and our teachers know a student’s weaknesses. That’s private; use discretion. I’ve got a saying that goes, “Because it’s true doesn’t give you a right to share it with others. Use discretion."

On the other hand, if we know that someone is a danger to others, we should make sure we tell those who are the proper authorities. That, as well, is discretion.

Frank M. Garafola hit the nail on the head in regard to discretion when he said, “The difference between a smart man and a man of discretion is that a smart man knows what to say, a man of discretion knows whether or not to say it.

The three-fold test of discretion.
  1. If I say it in public, will it humiliate them?
  2. If I say it in public, will it glorify God?
  3. If I say it in public, will it be a stumbling block to others?
If any of the three, you answer yes, then don’t!!


What to do:
✞ Remember, I'm often sorry for what I say; I'm seldom sorry for what I don't.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email