Thursday, July 5, 2018

Daily Devotion: Common Sense and the Tongue

Bible Reading: Leviticus 19:16-22

Key Verse: Verse 16 – "Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD."

Key Words: Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people

The Navy during World War II had a saying, “Loose lips sink ships.” But even more important than that were those lives lost and people hurt because of someone’s loose lips. The average person doesn’t know how to carry on an intelligent conversation. Most conversation consists of gossip, talebearing, and murmuring. What a shame! What a sin!

John Wesley wrote the following six guidelines for his talk and conversation. We would do well to apply them to our lives.
  1. That I will not intentionally listen to or inquire after any ill concerning others.
  2. That, if I do hear ill concerning others, I will not be in a hurry to believe it.
  3. That I will get all of my facts before I render a decision.
  4. That I will not write or speak a syllable of any ill to any other person other than the one whom it concerns.
  5. That neither will I mention it to another person as to what I’ve done.
  6. That I will not let gossip, talebearing and murmuring be named among my sins.
A woman who earned her living for more than 40 years by going about her neighborhood cleaning house for others was asked how it was she was so well-liked by everyone for whom she worked. She replied, “I make it a practice never to repeat what I hear with anyone.” Amen!

“Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people.”


What to do:
✞ Remember, loose lips are costly for you and others.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email