Thursday, June 21, 2018

Daily Devotion: Mismanagement

Bible Reading: Ephesians 5:6-16

Key Verse: Verse 16 – “Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."

Key Words: Redeeming the time

Some people can't say no to a salesman at the door. Others have the hardest time passing up a free puppy . . . or driving by a garage sale without stopping. Now, none of those are my “weaknesses,” but a good book – now that’s a different story. I love to read biographies and autobiographies, but I also love books on time management. I want to be more than busy, I want to be effective with my time; so I buy books that I hope can assist me in that area.

I often recall what Bernard Baruch once said: “Whatever failures I have known, whatever errors I have committed, whatever follies I have witnessed in private and public life, have been the consequences of action without thought.”

This reminds me a lot of what Paul said in Ephesians 5:14-16, “Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” It is verses like these that reach out and grab me and say, “Hey man, wake up and get with it.” You see, we are to manage our time, not let time manage us.

Now, I don’t want to offend anyone but you do know, don’t you, that always running late is a time management problem. Your punctuality reflects a lot about your management skills.

Below are the top ten reasons people mismanage their time.
  • Procrastination (put it off as long as they can)
  • Lack of organization (no priority system)
  • Not doing first things first
  • Attempting too much at once
  • Unrealistic time estimates
  • Focus on needless details
  • Unable to say “no”
  • Failure to delegate
  • Failure to listen, thus missing important instructions
  • Laziness
Well, that’s enough for now. I would write more, but quite frankly, I just don’t have the time.


What to do:
✞ Time is valuable. Use it wisely.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email