Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Daily Devotion: The Christmas Tree

Bible Reading:  Jeremiah 10:1-10

Key Verse: Verse 5 – “They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.”

Key Words: They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not

I set out determined and confident that I would succeed in finding the meaning of the history behind the Christmas tree.  After several hours of research, my determination remained intact but my confidence had been greatly bruised.  I finally reached the conclusion that very few authors and researchers agree on the meaning of and the history behind the Christmas tree; but here are some views I found in regard to the Christmas tree. 

1.   Most everyone agrees that the Christmas tree originated in Germany.  (After that, it is hard to find two people who agree on anything in regard to the old Tannenbaum.)

2.  There are those who believe Martin Luther was the first to establish the tradition of the Christmas tree.

3.  Others say its background is pagan and has its roots in pagan rituals and worship.  They base this on Jeremiah 10:4.  Now I personally have a couple of problems with this view.  A) There is no documented proof anywhere that Christmas trees had anything to do with pagan worship.  B) Jeremiah 10:4 is not a reference to the Christmas tree but a reference to a wooden idol carved from a tree and placed permanently in the home for worshipping.  People who make Jeremiah 10:4 a reference to the Christmas tree make the common mistake of making the Scripture say what they want it to, rather than simply letting it say what it says!

4.  Another tale has it that a tree would be brought into the house at the beginning of each winter (around December 22nd) to produce a fresh scent in the house for the long winter months which lay ahead and decorating the tree for a more pleasant view.  It grew into the custom of the Christmas tree for today.

5.  Remember, I said most everyone agreed that the Christmas tree started in Germany – but not everyone.  There are others who say that the Christmas tree tradition came from Egypt.  The Egyptians would bring in palm branches and decorate them in celebration of the shortest day of the year and from this tradition came the Christmas tree.

 

These are just some of the stories I found in my research of the Christmas tree which brings me to the following conclusion.  I would certainly be better off spending my time telling others what I do know – that Jesus is the reason for the season – rather than wasting my time attempting to prove something on which very few agree.

What to do:
✞ Keep your focus on Jesus.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email