Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Daily Devotion: Others Desire the Word

Bible Reading: I Peter 2:1-10

Key Verse: Verse 2 - “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:”

Key Words: desire the...word

In some places of the world missionaries face a shortage of Bibles and gospel tracts. There are ministries such as First Bible and The Gospel Tract Association which provide these for the missionaries, but the cost to have such a ministry can be overwhelming. But again, the need is great.

Robert Moffat, the great missionary to Africa, once told this story. “A woman came to me after having walked fifteen miles, and said that she wished for a New Testament.

I said to her: ‘My good woman, there is not a copy to be had.’

What! Must I return empty-handed?’

I fear you must.’

Oh,’ she said, ‘I borrowed a copy once, but the owner came and took it away, and now I sit with my family sorrowful because we have no Book to talk to us. Now we are far from anyone else. We are living at a cattle outpost with no one to teach us but the Book. Oh, go try to find a Book! Oh, my brother, do go and try to find a Book for me! Surely there is one to be found. Do not let me go back empty!’

I felt deeply sorry for her, for she spoke so earnestly, and I said: ‘Wait a little, and I will see what I can do.’ I searched here and there and at last found a copy and brought it to the good woman. Oh, if you could have seen how her eyes brightened, how she clasped my hands and kissed them over and over again. Away she went with the Book, rejoicing with a heart overflowing with gratitude.”

The need is great. The answer is God using you to meet the need.



What to do:

Pray for our missionaries: David and Joy Speights to Thailand; and Stephen and Lynn Spore to Vanuatu.


Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email