Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Daily Devotion: Going, But Not Knowing

Bible Reading: Acts 20:17-31

Key Verse: Verse 22 – “And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:”

Key Words: not knowing the things that shall befall me there

Paul, standing on an Asian beach, is saying goodbye to his friends. Several of them weep freely and openly, realizing they would never see him again (at least not on this earth). The apostle looked from man to man, then looking out to sea, utters the following words: And now, behold I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there: Acts 20:22.

What an honest confession! I am going, yet I do not know what will happen to me. Now, isn’t that what the Christian life is all about? Going, yet not knowing: not necessarily logical, not explainable, but very clear, at least to us. There isn’t a Christian reading this devotion who hasn’t walked down that path before! Abraham certainly had faced this thing of going and not knowing. By faith Abraham when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Some years back while in Washington, D.C., I talked with a Christian school teacher who was making $20,000 a year. Just the year before he had made $100,000, but he said, “God called and I followed, not knowing how my family would make it.” Are you on the verge of such a decision? Whether it be a missionary, a pastor, or even a Christian school teacher, let me suggest the following.

  1. Be sure your decision doesn’t contradict Scripture.

  2. Be sure your decision is unselfish in its motive.

  3. Be sure it is the Lord speaking.


What to do:

Pray for our missionaries: Ron White to Japan and around the world; and Maurice and Sherry Young to Taiwan.



Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email