Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Daily Devotion: Our Own Understanding


Bible Reading: Proverbs 3

Key Verse: Verses 5 & 6 – (vs5) “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. (vs 6) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Key Words: own understanding

One of the real deterrents to living a life of faith in God is human knowledge. We, more often than not, lean upon our own understanding of things, and act upon this understanding, rather than living a life trusting God and acting and living off His Word.

Is this not what happened in the life of King Saul? He was specifically told to go and destroy Amalek and all that they had (1 Samuel 15:3). Now, we know he failed to obey and we know why he failed in his obedience. The people of Israel brought back from Amalek the best of their sheep and oxen to sacrifice to the Lord (1 Samuel 15:21). Rather than simply obeying God, they leaned upon their own understanding.

Some years ago, a couple came to me and asked if I could marry them. I gave my usual answer, “If you’ll call the office and set up an appointment, I’ll be happy to talk with you about it.” They did call and made an appointment. I did not know the couple. They had attended our church for a couple of weeks so I had many questions for which I needed answers. Question number one was, “Are you saved?” The girl quickly responded, “Yes” and gave a clear testimony of her salvation. The man, on the other hand, was a different story. Now, he was clear on his answer. He said, “No sir, I am not saved and don’t care to be.”

I informed them that there was a problem Scripturally. I quoted a couple of verses: II Corinthians 6:14 and Amos 3:3. I even went to Genesis 24 and talked about Isaac and Rebekah. The young lady looked at me and said, “But, I’ve prayed about this and I believe it’s all right if I marry him. I have peace about this.”

He believing that the marriage was right, and even her being at peace, came not from God’s Book, but from her own understanding. Needless to say, I didn’t marry them, but they did get married and are now divorced – and the divorce was a bitter battle because she leaned upon her own understanding.

Abraham got in trouble because he leaned upon his own understanding – so did Jonah and David, and the list goes on and on. Don’t lean upon your own understanding, but rather trust in the Lord and His Word.


What to do:
✞ If your conscience tells you one thing and God’s Word tells you another, obey the Word.
✞ Always remember, God gives us a free will to choose. You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to choose the consequences of your actions.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email