Friday, August 30, 2019

Daily Devotion: The Spiritual Cliff


Bible Reading: II Chronicles 7:8-22

Key Verse: Verse 14 – “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Key Words: If my people

The key to a national righteousness isn’t dependent upon the lost but God’s people…”if my people”.

We have heard a lot lately about our country going over “the fiscal cliff” which would have resulted in higher taxes, etc.

I’m not so concerned about our nation going over the fiscal cliff as I am our country going over the spiritual cliff. Here are some sobering thoughts to consider.
  • We have expelled God from our schools.
  • We have booted the Ten Commandments from our courthouses.
  • We have dismissed God from our government.
  • We, in some stores, no longer call it Christmas; we call it the holiday season.
  • We abort over one million babies every year.
  • Only three out of every ten families attend church, and only two of those families would be considered faithful church attenders.
  • According to Barna, only a little over 10% of churches still have a visitation program. That’s about the same number that still have a mid-week service.
  • More than half of all Americans aged 12 or older report that they are current drinkers. In the latest national survey, 51.9% of those surveyed said they were current drinkers, or an estimated 130.6 million people.
  • Ninety-five percent of all Americans are engaged in sexual activity before marriage. You didn’t read that wrong: 95%.
  • Ages 18 – 24 of this group, 80% who say they are saved have engaged in pre-marital sex.
  • Only one out of every ten church-goers gives financially on a consistent basis. Here at Mountain View I have been told that fewer than four out of ten give consistently. That’s better than the average; but poor, considering that almost everyone raises their hand that they are in a right relationship with God.
I close this article with the words of the writer from II Chronicles 7:14, “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”


What to do:
✞ Be ye doers of the word, not hearers only.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email