Saturday, August 3, 2019

Daily Devotion: Complaining


Bible Reading: Psalm 77

Key Verse: Verse 3 –  “I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah.

Key Words: I complained and my spirit was overwhelmed

Complaining can consume you if you’re not careful. All you see are the things you think are wrong; and seldom, if ever, do you see anything good.

In Psalm 77 the psalmist, because of his complaining spirit, lists for us all the things he saw as a “problem” and complained about them.
  1. God was a problem. I remembered God and was “troubled” (stirred up emotionally). Psalm 77:3a
  2. Complaining consumed the psalmist so he couldn’t or wouldn’t sleep (verse 4).
  3. He complained because things weren’t like they used to be (verse 5).
  4. A complaining spirit can’t “find” the Lord (verse 2).
  5. A complaining spirit refuses to find good (verse 2).
Charles Spurgeon once said, in part: “A heavy wagon was being dragged along a country lane by a team of oxen. The axles groaned and creaked terribly, when the oxen turning around thus addressed the wheels, ‘Hey there, why do you make so much noise? We bear all the labor, and we – not you – ought to cry out!’ Those who complain first in our ministries are those who are determined to find fault. The gift of grumbling is largely dispensed among those who have no other talents.”

I have a saying that goes, “I can’t hear your complaints because I’ve never heard your praises.”


What to do:
✞ Today be an encouragement to someone.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email