Sunday, July 10, 2022

Daily Devotion: Entreated

Bible Reading: I Thessalonians 2 

Key Verse: Verse 2 - "But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully entreated, as ye know, at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speakunto you the gospel of God with much contention.”

Key Words: were shamefully entreated

The word entreated means to insult, to injure, primarily with one’s words, but can be with actions as well (see Acts 16:22).

Below are some quick quips to illustrate the word entreaty.

Lady Astor: “Winston, if you were my husband I should flavor your coffee with poison.”

Churchill: “Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it.”

Bessie Braddock, M.P.: “Winston, you’re drunk.”

Churchill: “Bessie, you’re ugly, and tomorrow morning I’ll be sober.”

Earl Warren (Supreme Court Justice): “I’m pleased to see such a dense crowd here tonight.”

Heckler: “Don’t be too pleased.  We ain’t all dense.”

Congressman John Randolf and Henry Clay met on a sidewalk in Washington

Clay: “I, sir, do not step aside for a scoundrel.” 

Randolf: “On the other hand, I always do.”

Lincoln of Steven Douglas: “His argument is as thin as the homeopathic soup made by boiling the shadow of a pigeon that had been starved to death.”

Charles H. Spurgeon was emphasizing to his class the importance of making the facial expression harmonize with the speech.  “When you speak of heaven,” he said, “let your face light up; let it be irradiated with a heavenly gleam, let your eyes shine with reflected glory.  But when you speak of hell – well, then your ordinary face will do.”

Now, while we may laugh at some of these quips, I believe we would do far better to season our words with God’s grace.  Anything seasoned is much easier to swallow.

What to do:
✞ Guard your response, it reveals your heart.

Are you Saved? | Get These Devotions By Email