Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Daily Devotion: People and Their Words


Bible Reading: I Kings 12:1-19

Key Verse: Verse 7- “And they spake unto him, saying, If thou wilt be a servant unto this people this day, and wilt serve them, and answer them, and speak good words to them, then they will be thy servants for ever.?

Key Words: speak good words

We know Rehoboam didn’t speak good words and, as a result, the people rebelled (verse 19).

It’s never wrong to do right. We are told in Galatians 6:10, “As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.”

Good is always associated with God. In Genesis chapter 1 after God saw each of His creations, He said it was good.

In Mark 10:18, Jesus asked the rich man, “Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God.”

We are told in Galatians 5:22 that one of the fruits of the Spirit is goodness.

One of the ways I know that I am walking in the Spirit is that I treat people with goodness, and I speak of them for good. Let me hasten to add, that doesn’t always mean people like what we say or do.

My dad used to say before he would spank me, “Now, this is for your good.” I must admit at the time, I didn’t see it that way; but looking back on it, he, as usual, was right.

Finding good words to say about some people can be a difficult task. Reminds me of a humorous story that illustrates the point: It seems that St. Peter and the Devil had an agreement to share the costs of maintaining the fence between Heaven and Hell. One weekend there was a bit of a brawl in Hell that got out of hand, and part of the fence was smashed. It went unfixed for weeks and St. Peter approached the Devil about mending it. Nothing happened over the period of a month. Finally, in exasperation, St. Peter said he would sue the Devil if he didn’t pay up. “Oh” retorted the Devil, “and where are you going to find a lawyer in heaven?”

So it is with some people…good words are hard to come by.


What to do:
✞ Find something good to say about others, and you will find they will change their attitude about you.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email