Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Daily Devotion: Ordinary People ~ Gedaliah

Bible Reading: Jeremiah 39:1-14

Key Verse: Verse 14 – “Even they sent, and took Jeremiah out of the court of the prison, and committed him unto Gedaliah the son of Ahikam the son of Shaphan, that he should carry him home: so he dwelt among the people.

Key Words: Gedaliah the son of Ahikam

You may never have heard of Gedaliah, so let me give you some interesting tidbits about him.
  1. He respected Jeremiah because of his father’s respect for Jeremiah.
  2. He was made governor by Nebuchadnezzar. He was not in line to be governor but became governor because of the way he handled matters.
  3. It was God’s will that the people obey the king of Babylon. Jeremiah preached this to the people continually, but the Jewish leadership refused to accept his message, all except Gedaliah who was a continual comfort and friend to Jeremiah (Jeremiah 40:6).
Gedaliah stood against the masses and stood with God’s man, Jeremiah. He was an ordinary man who did an extraordinary thing because God had him where he needed him the most.

Extraordinary people understand it’s not because of their greatness that things are accomplished, but because of the great God Who uses them!

Alex Haley, the author of Roots, had an unusual picture hanging on his office wall. It was a picture of a turtle on top of a fence post. When asked, “Why is that there?” Alex Haley answered, “Every time I write something significant, every time I read my words and think that they are wonderful and begin to feel proud of myself, I look at the turtle on top of the fence post and remember that he didn’t get there on his own. He had help.” Every time I am tempted to think about the things I have been able to achieve in my life time, I am reminded of this quote and that it is not because of me but because of Christ and what He has done. ~ Lou Nicholes, Missionary


What to do:
✞ Extraordinary people understand it’s not about them but the Lord Who uses them.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email