Saturday, August 21, 2021

Daily Devotion: The Crown of Righteousness

Bible Reading: II Timothy 4:1-8

Key Verse: Verse 8 – “Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

Key Words: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness

The Crown of Righteousness is for those who love His appearing. It’s for those who are ready spiritually for the Lord’s return. This is more than being born again. It’s those who are born again and living righteously and are ready for the Lord’s return.

I read the following story which gives us a great illustration of being ready for the Lord’s return. The author is unknown.

I worked in a machine shop for four-and-a-half years alongside a fellow named George. His job was to sweep and clean out the shavings underneath the huge lathes and machines we were running. George was born again, and he loved the teaching of Scripture on prophecy. I remember hearing him sing hymns as he worked. Many of them had to do with the coming of Christ, such as “In the Sweet By and By” and “When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder.”

Late one Friday afternoon about ten minutes to quitting time when we were all weary, I looked at George and said, “George, are you ready?” He said, “Uh-huh.” But he was all dirty. He was just obviously not ready. In fact, he looked like he was ready to keep on working. I said, “Look at you! Man, you’re not ready. You’ve gotta go clean up.” “No,” he said, “let me show you something.” So he unzipped his coveralls and underneath were the neatest, cleanest clothes you can imagine. He had them all ready. All he did when the whistle blew was just unzip and step out of that coverall, walk up, and punch his clock and he was gone. He said, “You see, I stay ready to keep from getting’ ready – just like I’m ready for Jesus!”


What to do:
✞ Stay ready! It keeps you from having to get ready!

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email