Saturday, June 1, 2019

Daily Devotion: The Amalekites The Enemy of Israel


Bible Reading: I Samuel 15:1-9

Key Verse: Verse 7 - “And Saul smote the Amalekites from Havilah until thou comest to Shur, that is over against Egypt.

Key Words: And Saul smote the Amalekites

The Amalekites dwelt in the land around the Dead Sea. They were the descendants of Esau’s son, Amalek.

Twenty-four times you find the name “Amalekites” mentioned in the Word of God, and all twenty-four times they are either fighting or planning on fighting the nation of Israel. Of the many battles that the Amalekites had with Israel, only once did they win and that was not because of their might or prowess, it was a result of Israel’s sin (Numbers 14:4-45).

As much as they desired to defeat Israel, they simply could not, no matter how hard they tried.

Growing up I had a double first cousin named Timothy. He and I were very competitive. Every time we got together, and it was often, we went to war either in basketball, baseball, football or even horseshoes. As much as I hate to admit it, I simply could not beat him. I tried praying, scheming, and even thought about cheating; but I simply could not win. The more I lost, the more I wanted to win. Now, it’s not like he would massacre me, I’m talking about beating me with the most narrow of margins. It got to the place where, as a child, that all I could think about was beating Timothy; until one day I did – in basketball. Now, I let everyone know I won until my sister began to inform everyone that Timothy had a broken arm, but I still won!

So it was with the Amalekites. They simply could not defeat Israel, no matter how hard they tried. They did defeat Israel once, not because of their greatness but because of Israel’s weakness.

The moral of all this is simple: that in the will of God there is victory and out of His will is defeat. So stay in the will of God!!


What to do:
✞ Understand that in the will of God you find victory; so know and do the will of God because it sure “ain’t” no fun losing.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email