Monday, March 26, 2018

Daily Devotion: The Spiritual Warfare With Our Flesh

Bible Reading: Romans 7

Key Verse: Verse 18 - "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

Key Words: For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing

Now, if the Apostle Paul battled with his flesh – and he did – then we certainly know that we will battle with ours. It is indeed a spiritual warfare.

John Mason Brown was a drama critic and speaker well known for his witty and informative lectures on theatrical topics. One of his first important appearances as a lecturer was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Brown was pleased, but also rather nervous, and his nerves were not helped when he noticed by the light of the slide projector that someone was copying his every gesture. After a time he broke off his lecture and announced with great dignity that if anyone was not enjoying the talk, he was free to leave. Nobody did, and the mimicking continued. It was another ten minutes before Brown realized that the mimic was his own shadow!

Was Brown’s shadow real? Of course. Does a shadow have the power to control a person’s actions? Of course not. It can only mimic us. But in Brown’s case, his shadow did take control momentarily. Why? Because he allowed himself to be distracted – “addicted,” if you will – by it that he completely forgot what he was supposed to be about. That’s a pretty good description of the power of the flesh.

If you are a redeemed person, your flesh can still play havoc in your life. It is indeed a spiritual warfare. Note the words of Paul found in Romans 7:19, “For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.”

The flesh can cause you to forget what you are supposed to be about – and that is the Lord’s work.


What to do:
✞ Ask daily for the power of the Holy Spirit to control your life.

Are you Saved? | Get These Free Devotions Everyday By Email